New York Agriculture & Markets Law
Misbranding of Food
Food shall be deemed to be misbranded:
1. If its labeling is false or misleading in any particular.
2. If it is offered for sale under the name of another article.
3. If it is an imitation of another food, unless its label bears the word “imitation” and immediately thereafter the name of the food imitated in type of uniform size and equal prominence, followed by a statement showing the constituents thereof.
4. If its container is so made, formed, colored or filled as to be misleading.
5. If in package form, unless it bears a label containing the name and place of business of the manufacturer, packer, or distributor.
6. If any word, statement or other information required by or under authority of this article to appear on the label or labeling is not prominently placed thereon with such conspicuousness (as compared with other words, statements, designs, or devices, in the labeling) and in such terms as to render it likely to be read and understood by the ordinary individual under customary conditions of purchase and use.
7. If it purports to be or is represented as a food for which a definition and standard of identity has been prescribed, unless (a) it conforms to such definition and standard, and
(b) its label bears the name of the food specified in the definition and standard, and, in so far as may be required, the common names of optional ingredients present in such food.
8. If it purports to be or is represented as (a) a food for which a standard of quality has been prescribed by this chapter or by regulations as provided in section two hundred fourteen-b, and its quality falls below such standard, unless its label bears, in such manner and form as such regulations specify, a statement that it falls below such standard; or
(b) a food for which no definition and standard of identity and/or standard of quality have been prescribed, and it falls below the standard of purity, quality or strength which it purports or is represented to possess.
9. If it is not subject to the provisions of subdivision seven of this section, unless its label bears (a) the common or usual name of the food, if any there be, and
(b) in case it is fabricated from two or more ingredients, the common or usual name of each such ingredient; except that spices, flavorings, and colorings, other than those sold as such, may be designated as spices, flavorings, and colorings, without naming each; provided that, to the extent that compliance with the requirements of clause (b) of this subdivision is impracticable, or results in deception or unfair competition, in the judgment of the commissioner, exemptions shall be established by regulations promulgated by the commissioner.
10. If it purports to be or is represented for special dietary uses, unless its label bears such information concerning its vitamin, mineral, and other dietary properties as the commissioner determines to be and prescribes as necessary in order to inform purchasers fully as to its value for such uses.
11. If it bears or contains any artificial flavoring, artificial coloring, or permitted chemical preservative, unless it bears labeling stating that fact: provided, that to the extent that compliance with the requirements of this subdivision is impracticable, exemptions shall be established by regulations promulgated by the commissioner. The provisions of this subdivision and subdivisions seven and nine with respect to artificial coloring shall not apply in the case of butter, cheese, or ice cream. The provisions of this subdivision with respect to chemical preservatives shall not apply to a pesticide chemical when used in or on a raw agricultural commodity which is the produce of the soil.
12. If it is a raw agricultural commodity which is the produce of the soil, bearing or containing a pesticide chemical applied after harvest, unless the shipping container of such commodity bears labeling which declares the presence of such chemical in or on such commodity and the common or usual name and the function of such chemical; provided, however, that no such declaration shall be required while such commodity, having been removed from the shipping container, is being held or displayed for sale at retail out of such container in accordance with the custom of the trade.
13. If it is a color additive unless its packing and labeling are in conformity with such packing and labeling requirements, applicable to such color additive, as may be contained in regulations promulgated by the commissioner.
14. If it contains a milk protein concentrate, caseinate, or added casein and is not subject to the provisions of subdivision seven of this section, unless its label bears the name of such substance as an ingredient.