New York Agriculture & Markets Law
Determination of the Content of Milk And/or Cream Where Purchase or Settlement Therefor Is Made on the Basis of Such Content
56. Determination of the content of milk and/or cream where purchase or settlement therefor is made on the basis of such content.
1. The commissioner shall, after public hearing, prescribe, by rules and regulations, the methods, equipment, and procedures, including the calibration and use of electronic equipment, which shall be used in determining the percentage of the components of milk and/or cream where the result of such determination is to be used wholly, or in part, as a basis for payment or settlement for such milk and/or cream, or where the proceeds of co-operative creameries or such milk-receiving or manufacturing plants are allotted on the basis of the determination of a component or components of milk, or where the result of such test is used for the purpose of official inspection or for public record.
2. Whenever the amount of a milk component or components contained in milk and/or cream is used wholly or in part as a basis for payment or settlement for such milk and/or cream, or whenever such component, or components, of milk and/or cream are made a matter of public record or official inspection, no person or persons shall report or record a greater or lesser percentage or average percentage of such milk component than is actually contained in such milk and/or cream. The commissioner or persons employed by him for that purpose may at any time inspect the equipment and assist in making tests of milk and/or cream received at any milk-receiving or manufacturing plant or other place of testing for the purpose of determining the accuracy of tests so made.
3. Any person or persons using other than the method, equipment and procedures prescribed by the commissioner pursuant to this section, or crediting any patron delivering milk and/or cream with a greater or lesser percentage or average percentage of a milk component than is actually contained in such milk and/or cream so delivered and as determined by such prescribed method or methods shall be deemed to have violated the provisions of this chapter.
4. For the purposes of this article, components of milk or cream shall include non-fat solids, milk fat, protein, lactose and total solids contained in milk or cream.