New York Correction Law
Organization of Department of Corrections and Community Supervision; Officers and Employees; Delegation by Commissioner
7. Organization of department of corrections and community supervision; officers and employees; delegation by commissioner.
1. The commissioner of corrections and community supervision may, from time to time, create, abolish, transfer and consolidate divisions, bureaus and other units within the department not expressly established by law as he or she may determine necessary for the efficient operation of the department, subject to the approval of the director of the budget.
2. The commissioner of corrections and community supervision may appoint such deputies, directors, assistants and other officers and employees as may be needed for the performance of his or her duties and may prescribe their powers and duties and fix their compensation within the amounts appropriated therefor.
3. The commissioner may by order filed in the department of corrections and community supervision delegate any of his or her powers to or direct any of his or her duties to be performed by a deputy commissioner or a head of a division or bureau of such department.
4. The commissioner shall not appoint any person as a correction officer or parole officer, unless such person has attained his twenty-first birthday.