N.Y. Agriculture & Markets Law Section 128

As used in this article, unless otherwise expressly stated, or unless the content or subject matter otherwise requires:


“Commissioner” means the commissioner of agriculture and markets.


“Department” means the department of agriculture and markets.


“Person” means any person, firm, partnership, corporation or association.


“Distribute” means to offer for sale, sell, exchange, or barter commercial feed; or to supply, furnish, or otherwise provide commercial feed to a contract feeder.


“Distributor” means any person who distributes.


“Feed” means all edible materials which are consumed by animals and contribute energy or nutrients to the animal’s diet.


“Commercial feed” means all materials except unmixed whole seeds or physically altered entire unmixed seeds, when not adulterated within the meaning of subdivision one of § 132 (Adulteration)section one hundred thirty-two of this article, which are distributed for use as feed or for mixing in feed, and includes pet food and specialty pet food. Provided, however, the commissioner by regulation may exempt from this definition, or from specific provisions of this article, commodities such as hay, straw, stover, silage, cobs, husks, hulls, and individual chemical compounds or substances when such commodities, compounds or substances are not inter-mixed or mixed with other materials, and are not adulterated within the meaning of subdivision one of § 132 (Adulteration)section one hundred thirty-two of this article.


“Pet” means any domesticated animal normally maintained in or near the household(s) of the owner(s) thereof.


“Pet food” means any commercial feed prepared and distributed for consumption by pets.


“Specialty pet” means any domesticated pet normally maintained in a cage or tank, such as, but not limited to, gerbils, hamsters, canaries, psittacine birds, mynahs, finches, tropical fish, goldfish, snakes and turtles.


“Specialty pet food” means any commercial feed prepared and distributed for consumption by specialty pets.


“Contract feeder” means a person who, as an independent contractor, feeds commercial feed to animals pursuant to a contract whereby such commercial feed is supplied, furnished or otherwise provided to such person and whereby such person’s remuneration is determined all or in part by feed consumption, mortality, profits, or amount or quality of product.


“Registrant” means any person who has registered a commercial feed manufacturing facility or brand of pet food or specialty pet food pursuant to the provisions of § 129 (Registration)section one hundred twenty-nine of this article. 13-a. “Licensee” means any person who has licensed a commercial feed manufacturing facility pursuant to § 128-A (Licenses)section one hundred twenty-eight-a of this article.


“Brand” means each commercial feed identified by and differing from others either in name, trademark, descriptive designation or other method or marking, composition or guaranteed analysis.


“Feed ingredient” means each of the constitutent materials making up a commercial feed.


“Drug” means any article intended for use in the diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment or prevention of disease in animals other than man and articles other than feed intended to affect the structure or any function of the animal body.


“Customer-formula feed” means commercial feed which consists of a mixture of commercial feeds and/or feed ingredients, each batch of which is manufactured according to the specific instructions of the final purchaser, including feed mixed from components supplied by the purchaser.


“Manufacture” means to grind, mix or blend, or further process a commercial feed for distribution.


“Brand name” means any word, name, symbol or device, or any combination thereof, identifying the commercial feed of a distributor or registrant and distinguishing it from that of others.


“Product name” means the name of the commmercial feed which identifies it as to kind, class, or specific use.


“Label” means a display of written, printed or graphic matter upon or affixed to the container in which a commercial feed is distributed, or on the invoice or delivery slip with which a commercial feed is distributed.


“Labeling” means any and all labels and other written, printed or graphic matter (a) upon a commercial feed or any of its containers or wrappers or (b) accompanying such commercial feed.


“Official sample” means a sample of feed taken by the commissioner or his authorized agent in accordance with the provisions of § 135-A (Inspection, sampling and analysis)section one hundred thirty-five-a of this article.

Source: Section 128 — Definitions, https://www.­nysenate.­gov/legislation/laws/AGM/128 (updated Sep. 22, 2014; accessed Dec. 2, 2023).

Dec. 2, 2023

Last modified:
Sep. 22, 2014

§ 128’s source at nysenate​.gov

Link Style