N.Y. Indian Law Section 10
Licenses to reside upon tribal lands

A county judge of a county in which lands of any nation, tribe or band of Indians are situated, may, upon the request of such nation, tribe or band, grant a written license to a schoolmaster, teacher or family of teachers, or minister of the gospel and his family, or priest, to reside upon such lands, and for that purpose to occupy not to exceed fifty acres thereof, or may grant a written license to a person to reside upon such lands for the purpose of instructing the Indians in agriculture or the mechanic arts, or assisting them in erecting or in keeping in repair a mill or other machinery, or in the manufacture of salt. Such judge may revoke such license, and shall revoke it whenever it shall appear that the licensee has sold or given away to any Indian spirituous liquor or intoxicating drink. Upon the revocation of any such license, the licensee may be removed as an intruder.

Source: Section 10 — Licenses to reside upon tribal lands, https://www.­nysenate.­gov/legislation/laws/IND/10 (updated Sep. 22, 2014; accessed Nov. 25, 2023).

Nov. 25, 2023

Last modified:
Sep. 22, 2014

§ 10’s source at nysenate​.gov

Link Style