N.Y. Highway Law Section 149
Drainage, sewer and water pipes, cattle passes or other crossings in highways

The town superintendent may, with the consent of the town board, upon the written application of any resident or taxpayer of his town or a corporation, grant permission for an overhead or underground crossing, or to lay and maintain drainage, sewer and water pipes under ground within the portion therein described of a town highway. Permission shall not be granted for the laying and maintaining of such pipes under the travelled part of the highway, except across the same, for the purposes of sewerage and draining swamps or other lands, and supplying premises with water. Such permission shall be granted upon the condition that such pipes and hydrants or crossings shall be so laid, set or constructed as not to interrupt or interfere with public travel upon the highway, and upon the further condition that the applicant will replace the earth removed and leave the highway in all respects in as good condition as before the laying of said pipes, or construction of such crossings, and that such applicant will keep such pipes and hydrants or crossing in repair and save the town harmless from all damages which may accrue by reason of their location in the highway, and that upon notice by the town superintendent the applicant will make the repairs required for the protection or preservation of the highway. The permit of the town superintendent, with the consent of the town board or county superintendent, and the acceptance of the applicant, shall be executed in duplicate, one of which shall be filed in the office of the town clerk and the other in the office of the county superintendent. In case the applicant shall fail to make any of the repairs required to be made under the permit, they may be made by the town superintendent at the expense of the applicant, and such expenses shall be a lien, prior to any other lien, upon the land benefited by the use of the highway for such pipes, hydrants or structures. The town superintendent may revoke such permit upon the applicant’s failure to comply with any of the conditions contained therein.

Source: Section 149 — Drainage, sewer and water pipes, cattle passes or other crossings in highways, https://www.­nysenate.­gov/legislation/laws/HAY/149 (updated Sep. 22, 2014; accessed Nov. 25, 2023).

Nov. 25, 2023

Last modified:
Sep. 22, 2014

§ 149’s source at nysenate​.gov

Link Style