New York Alternative County Government Law
Powers and Duties
The director of public works shall:
1. Have charge of the construction and maintenance of county roads, bridges, sewers, drains and all other public works of the county.
2. Have charge of the construction, repair, upkeep and care of all public buildings, storerooms and warehouses of the county.
3. Have charge of such equipment and supplies as the board of supervisors may authorize.
4. Have general supervisory power over town superintendents of highways.
5. Have charge of county parks and playgrounds, athletic fields and recreation centers, together with all buildings, structures, equipment and appurtenances thereof, except in counties having a park and recreation commission.
6. Have supervision of all public works and co-operate with and advise any public works, sewer, water or other commission or bureau or department specially created, and through his department provide engineering services for all county departments, unless otherwise specified by law.
7. Have and exercise all the powers and duties of the county superintendent of highways as now or hereafter prescribed by law.
8. Have all the powers and be subject to all the duties of the town superintendent of highways for every town in the county if the form adopted provides for the transfer to the county of the functions of towns in relation to the construction and maintenance of town highways and bridges, and of the corresponding officials of any other units of local government from which such functions are similarly transferred to the county.
9. Perform such additional and related duties as may be prescribed by general or special law or by county act.