New York Alcoholic Beverage Control Law
Custom Beermakers’ Center
1. Any person may apply to the authority on or before December thirty-first, two thousand nineteen for a custom beermakers center license as provided for in this section to operate a custom beermakers center facility and provide individuals with rental space, the use of equipment and storage facilities, and/or beer making supplies for the production of beer by such individuals for personal household use and not for resale in accordance with state and federal laws, rules, and regulations authorizing such production. Such application shall be in writing and verified and shall contain such information as the authority shall require, provided, however, the holder of a license under this section may renew such license on or after December thirty-first, two thousand nineteen. Such application shall be accompanied by a check or draft for the amount required by this article for such license. If the authority grants the application, it shall issue a license in such form as shall be determined by its rules. Such license shall contain a description of the licensed premises and in form and in substance shall be a license to the person therein specifically designated to operate such center to manufacture beer for personal household use in the premises therein specifically licensed.
2. For the purposes of this section, "beer making supplies" shall mean hops, grains, malted grains, wort, sugars, yeasts, water, fruits, fruit juices, and other agricultural products including, but not limited to, honey and flowers, that are grown or produced in the state of New York, in quantity amounts as determined by the authority and shall be governed by paragraph (b) of subdivision eleven of section fifty-one-a of this article.
3. A custom beermakers center license shall authorize the holder thereof to operate a facility for individuals to rent space, equipment, and storage facilities and, if necessary, to purchase beer making supplies to manufacture beer for personal household use provided that the manufacture and production of beer for personal household consumption and use is done in accordance with state and federal laws and regulations. Such a license shall also authorize the licensee, provided such activities are permitted by the federal Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau for the manufacture of tax exempt beer for personal household use, to:
(a) conduct training classes on how to manufacture beer; and
(b) conduct beer tastings for those individuals taking such classes and/or using such facility for brewing purposes at the licensed facility provided that the tastings shall be subject to the following limitations:
(i) tastings shall be conducted by the licensee or by an official agent of the licensee. Such licensee or agent shall be physically present at all times during the conduct of the tastings; and
(ii) any liability stemming from a right of action resulting from a tasting of beer as authorized herein and in accordance with the provisions of sections 11-100 and 11-101 of the general obligations law, shall accrue to the custom beermakers center.
4. The custom beermakers center licensee shall be subject to the supervision of the authority to ensure that the licensee and the individuals utilizing such center are in compliance with the provisions of this chapter, state laws, rules, and regulations, and the laws, rules, and regulations of the federal Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau.
5. The licensee or an official agent of the licensee shall be physically present at all times during the facilitys hours of operations.
6. The annual aggregate production of beer at any such center for all individuals making beer at such premises, pursuant to a custom beermakers center license, shall not exceed the production limits set by the authority that are commensurate with a non-commercial production facility. Provided that such aggregate production limit shall not be offset by beer produced at such facility under a brewers license or farm brewery license.
7. Notwithstanding any other provision of this chapter, the authority may issue a custom beermakers center license to the holder of a farm brewery or brewery license for use at such licensees existing licensed premises.
8. The authority is hereby authorized to promulgate rules and regulations to effectuate the purposes of this section.
9. The licensee must maintain a record of the name, address, and contact information of the individuals that have used such facility and the annual amount of beer produced by each individual at the facility pursuant to the rules of the authority. * NB Effective May 13, 2017