New York County Law
When used in this article, the following words and phrases shall have the following meanings unless the specific context clearly indicates otherwise:
1. “Wireless telephone service” shall have the same meaning as the term “wireless communications service” as defined in section three hundred one of this chapter.
2. “Wireless telephone service supplier” shall have the same meaning as the term “wireless communications service supplier” as defined in section three hundred one of this chapter.
3. “Service supplier” means a telephone corporation which provides local exchange access service within a 911 service area.
4. “Enhanced wireless 911 service” means the service required to be provided by wireless telephone service suppliers pursuant to the FCC order.
5. “FCC order” means all orders issued by the Federal Communications Commission pursuant to the proceeding entitled “Revision of the Commission’s Rule to Ensure Compatibility with Enhanced 911 Emergency Calling Systems” (CC Docket No. 94-102; RM-8143), or any successor proceeding, regarding the delivery of ANI and ALI as of the dates and according to the other criteria established therein and the rules adopted by the Federal Communications Commission in any such proceeding, as such rules may be amended from time to time.
6. “Automatic number identification” or “ANI” means the delivery or receipt of the telephone number assigned to the wireless device being used to place a 911 call.
7. “Automatic location information” or “ALI” means the delivery or receipt of the approximate geographic location, as specified in the FCC order, of the wireless device being used to place a 911 call.
8. “Basic wireless 911 service” means the ability of wireless telephone service subscribers to dial the digits 9-1-1 and be connected to a local public safety answering point or a state public safety answering point.
9. “State public safety answering point” means a site designated and operated by the division of state police for the purposes of receiving emergency calls from customers of a wireless telephone service supplier.
10. “Local public safety answering point” means a site designated and operated by a local governmental entity for the purpose of receiving emergency calls from customers of a wireless telephone service supplier.
11. “Wireless telecommunications facility” means any unstaffed facility used in the receipt and transmission of wireless telephone service, including but not limited to antennas, ancillary telecommunications equipment and telecommunications towers or poles.
12. “Direct dispatch” shall mean that the public safety answering point can, by encoding or toning, alert the responding agency without having to relay or reroute calls unless the call originates outside the jurisdiction.
13. “Board” shall mean the New York state 911 board.
14. “Jurisdictional protocol” shall mean a written agreement entered into by two or more law enforcement agencies setting forth procedures to ensure the organized, coordinated, and prompt mobilization of personnel, equipment, services, or facilities in order to achieve the fastest response to a 911 emergency.
15. “Fund” shall mean the statewide public safety communications account established pursuant to section ninety-seven-qq of the state finance law.
16. “Eligible wireless 911 service costs” shall mean costs eligible for reimbursement and shall include the actual costs incurred by the locality related to the design, installation, operation, or maintenance of a system to provide enhanced wireless 911 service, including, but not limited to, hardware, software, consultants, financing and other acquisition costs.
17. “Expedited deployment funding” means eligible wireless 911 costs estimated to be incurred by local public safety answering points for enhanced wireless 911 service.