New York Arts and Cultural Affairs Law
As used in sections 37.03 and 37.05 of this article:
1. "Person" means any individual, company, society, association, corporation, manager, contractor, subcontractor, partnership, bureau, agency, service, office or the agent or employee of the foregoing.
2. "Fee" means anything of value, including any money or other valuable consideration charged, collected, received, paid or promised for any service, or act rendered or to be rendered by an employment agency, including but not limited to money received by such agency or its emigrant agent which is more than the amount paid by it for transportation, transfer of baggage, or board and lodging on behalf of any applicant for employment.
3. "Theatrical employment agency" means any person (as defined in subdivision one hereof) who procures or attempts to procure employment or engagements for an artist, but such term does not include the business of managing entertainments, exhibitions or performances, or the artists or attractions constituting the same, where such business only incidentally involves the seeking of employment therefor.
4. "Theatrical engagement" means any engagement or employment of an artist in employment described in subdivision three of this section.
5. "Artist" shall mean actors and actresses rendering services on the legitimate stage and in the production of motion pictures, radio artists, musical artists, musical organizations, directors of legitimate stage, motion picture and radio productions, musical directors, writers, cinematographers, composers, lyricists, arrangers, models, and other artists and persons rendering professional services in motion picture, theatrical, radio, television and other entertainment enterprises.