New York Agriculture & Markets Law
License Refusal, Suspension, or Revocation
The commissioner may decline to grant or renew or may suspend or revoke a pet dealer license, on any one of the following grounds:
1. Material misstatement in the license application.
2. Material misstatement in or falsification of records required to be kept pursuant to this article, or under any regulation promulgated thereunder, or failure to allow the commissioner or his or her authorized agents to inspect records or pet dealer facilities.
3. Violation of any provision of this article or conviction of a violation of any provision of article twenty-six of this chapter or regulations promulgated thereunder pertaining to humane treatment of animals, cruelty to animals, endangering the life or health of an animal, or violation of any federal, state, or local law pertaining to the care, treatment, sale, possession, or handling of animals or any regulation or rule promulgated pursuant thereto relating to the endangerment of the life or health of an animal.
4. Before any license shall be suspended or revoked, the commissioner, or any hearing officer he or she may designate, shall hold a hearing, upon due notice to the licensee, in accordance with any regulations promulgated by the department and in accordance with articles three and four of the state administrative procedure act. Where a licensee has three consecutive inspections in which the licensee has failed to correct deficiencies of a critical nature, pursuant to this section, the commissioner shall hold a hearing to consider the suspension or revocation of the pet dealer license. Nothing in this section shall prohibit the commissioner from taking additional actions as otherwise permitted by this section regarding such licenses prior to the occurrence of three consecutive inspections in which the licensee has failed to correct deficiencies of a critical nature.
5. Any action of the commissioner shall be subject to judicial review in a proceeding under article seventy-eight of the civil practice law and rules.