New York Abandoned Property Law
When used in this article, the following items shall have the following meanings:
1. “Corporation” shall include any joint stock company, corporation, association of two or more individuals, committee, public authority, or business trust.
2. “Public issuer” shall include the United States, the several states and territories thereof, political subdivisions and municipal corporations within such states and territories, foreign countries and political subdivisions and municipal corporations within such foreign countries.
3. “Security” shall include:
(a) Any instrument issued by a corporation or public issuer to evidence an obligation to make any payment of the principal amount of a debt or of any increment due or to become due thereon, or
(b) Any instrument issued by a corporation to evidence a proprietary interest therein except:
(i) A policy of insurance issued by a mutual insurance corporation, or
(ii) A share issued by a savings and loan association, a building and loan association, or a credit union.
4. “Broker” shall include any individual or corporation engaging in the purchase, sale or exchange of securities for or on behalf of any customer.
5. “Dealer” shall include any individual or corporation engaging in any state as a regular business in the purchase, sale or exchange of securities for his or its own account, through a broker or otherwise.
6. (a) “Customer” shall include any individual or corporation entering into a contract with a broker or dealer by which such broker or dealer agrees to effect the purchase, sale, or exchange, or to keep custody of any security for or on behalf of such individual or corporation. The term “customer” shall also include any individual or corporation entering into a contract with a broker or dealer whereby such broker or dealer for his own account buys from or sells to such individual or corporation, any security.
(b) If on the books of account located at an office in this state of a broker or dealer there is indicated a balance to the credit of an individual or corporation with a last-known address in a state other than this state, such individual or corporation shall not be deemed a “customer”.
7. “Amount” shall mean that term as defined in subdivision seven of section five hundred of this chapter.
8. “Wages” shall include moneys payable, under contract or otherwise, for services rendered to a broker or dealer, less lawful deductions.