New York Penal Law
Sports Bribery and Tampering; Definitions of Terms
180.35 Sports bribery and tampering; definitions of terms. As used in this article:
1. "Sports contest" means any professional or amateur sport or athletic game or contest viewed by the public.
2. "Sports participant" means any person who participates or expects to participate in a sports contest as a player, contestant or member of a team, or as a coach, manager, trainer or other person directly associated with a player, contestant or team.
3. "Sports official" means any person who acts or expects to act in a sports contest as an umpire, referee, judge or otherwise to officiate at a sports contest.
4. "Pari-mutuel betting" is such betting as is authorized under the provisions of the pari-mutuel revenue law as set forth in chapter 254 of the laws of 1940 with amendments.
5. "Pari-mutuel horse race" means any horse race upon which betting is conducted under the provisions of the pari-mutuel revenue law as set forth in chapter 254 of the laws of 1940.