N.Y. Civil Rights Law Section 67
Petition for change of sex designation


A petition for leave to change sex designation may be made by a resident of the state to the county court of the county or the supreme court in the county in which such resident resides, or, if such resident resides in the city of New York, either to the supreme court or to any branch of the civil court of the city of New York, in any county of the city of New York. The petition to change the sex designation of an infant may be made by the infant through either of such infant’s parents, or by such infant’s general guardian or by the guardian of such infant’s person.


When an individual petitions the court to recognize their gender identity or to amend the sex designation on an identity document, the court shall issue such an order upon receipt of an affidavit from such individual attesting to their gender identity or reason for the change. No additional medical evidence shall be required to grant such request. No such order shall be required to amend an identity document issued within New York state. No such order shall be required to otherwise recognize the gender of an individual and treat them consistent with their gender identity within New York state or under New York state law. No fee shall be charged for a request for judicial intervention associated with a petition to change sex designation.


Such request may be made simultaneously with a petition for change of name pursuant to section sixty or sixty-five of this chapter or on its own.

Source: Section 67 — Petition for change of sex designation, https://www.­nysenate.­gov/legislation/laws/CVR/67 (updated Mar. 25, 2022; accessed Nov. 25, 2023).

Nov. 25, 2023

Last modified:
Mar. 25, 2022

§ 67’s source at nysenate​.gov

Link Style