New York Arts and Cultural Affairs Law
General Powers and Duties of Council
The council shall have the following powers and duties:
1. To stimulate and encourage throughout the state the study and presentation of the performing and fine arts and public interest and participation therein;
2. To make such surveys as may be deemed advisable of public and private institutions engaged within the state in artistic and cultural activities, including but not limited to, music, theatre, dance, painting, sculpture, architecture, and allied arts and crafts, and to make recommendations concerning appropriate methods to encourage participation in and appreciation of the arts to meet the legitimate needs and aspirations of persons in all parts of the state;
3. To take such steps as may be necessary and appropriate to encourage public interest in the cultural heritage of our state and to expand the states cultural resources;
4. To hold public or private hearings;
5. To enter into contracts, within the amount available by appropriation therefor, with individuals, organizations and institutions for services furthering the educational objectives of the councils programs;
6. To enter into contracts, within the amount available by appropriation therefor, with local and regional associations for cooperative endeavors furthering the educational objectives of the councils programs;
7. To accept gifts, contributions and bequests of unrestricted funds from individuals, foundations, corporations and other organizations or institutions for the purpose of furthering the educational objectives of the councils programs;
8. To make and sign any agreements and to do and to perform any acts that may be necessary, desirable or proper to carry out the purposes of this chapter;
9. To promote tourism by supporting arts and cultural projects which would stimulate tourism and improve the states attractions for tourists.
10. To administer the New York state musical instrument revolving fund in accordance with the provisions of section ninety-seven-v of the state finance law.