New York Agriculture & Markets Law
As used in this article, unless another meaning is clearly indicated:
1. "Community garden" shall mean public or private lands upon which citizens of the state have the opportunity to garden on lands which they do not individually own.
2. "Garden" shall mean a piece or parcel of land appropriate for the cultivation of herbs, fruits, flowers, nuts, honey, poultry for egg production, maple syrup, ornamental or vegetable plants, nursery products, or vegetables.
3. "Municipality" shall mean any county, town, village, city, school district, board of cooperative educational services, other special district, or any office or agency thereof.
4. "Office" shall mean the office of community gardens. 4-a. "State agency" shall mean any department, bureau, commission, board, public authority or other agency of the state, including any public benefit corporation of which any member of whose board is appointed by the governor.
5. "Use" shall mean to avail oneself of or to employ without conveyance of title gardens on vacant public lands by any individual or organization.
6. "Vacant public land" shall mean any land owned by the state or a public corporation including a municipality that is not in use for a public purpose, is otherwise unoccupied, idle or not being actively utilized for a period of at least six months and is suitable for garden use.