New York Agriculture & Markets Law
Sale of Lettuce
1. No person shall sell, expose for sale or transport for sale within this state, regardless of place of origin, lettuce in closed packages which are not branded as required by section 160-q, except that lettuce packaged by a retailer and sold or offered for sale by such retailer, need only be branded to show that it is cull lettuce, if such is the case.
2. Cull lettuce offered or exposed for sale at retail shall be plainly and conspicuously marked as “culls”.
3. No person shall sell, offer for sale, or transport for sale lettuce in open or closed packages, or unwrapped lettuce, if the branding, representation as to grade, or any statement, design or device appearing on the label, package or bulk display shall be false or misleading in any particular.
4. When lettuce in closed packages is delivered to a common carrier for shipment, such delivery shall be presumptive evidence that the lettuce is intended for sale.
5. No lettuce shall be sold in closed cardboard containers unless it is vacuum cooled.