New York Agriculture & Markets Law
As used in this article unless otherwise expressly stated, or unless the context or subject matter otherwise requires:
1. The term "person" shall include any individual, partnership, corporation, company, society, or association.
2. The term "seed" means botanical structures used for planting purposes and commonly referred to as "seed" within this state. This includes tubers of the Irish potato when such tubers are represented as being suitable for planting purposes.
3. The terms "agricultural seeds" and "crop seeds" include the seeds of grass, forage, cereal, field beans, and fiber crops or any other kinds of seeds commonly recognized within this state as agricultural seeds, lawn seeds, and mixtures of such seeds.
4. The term "vegetable seeds" includes seeds of those food crops which are grown in gardens and on truck farms and are generally known and sold under the name of vegetable or herb seeds in this state.
5. The term "flower seeds" includes seeds of herbaceous plants grown for their blooms, ornamental foliage, or other ornamental parts and commonly known and sold under the name of flower seeds in this state.
6. The term "tree and shrub seeds" includes seeds of woody plants commonly known and sold as tree or shrub seeds in this state.
7. The term "noxious weed seeds" includes seeds of bindweed (Convolvulus arvensis), quackgrass (Elytrigia repens), Canada thistle (Cirsium arvense), bedstraw (Galium spp.), dodder (Cuscuta spp.), horse nettle (Solanum carolinense), wild onion (Allium canadense and A. vineale), corn cockle (Agrostemma githago), and Russian knapweed (Acroptilon repens).
8. The term "labeling" refers to statements written or imprinted on the seed container itself or on a tag or label securely attached to it as specified in the label requirements of this law.
9. The term "advertising" means all representations, other than the required label statements made in any manner or by any means relating to seed within the scope of this act.
10. The term "stop-sale" means an administrative order provided by law, restraining the sale, use, disposition, and movement of a definite amount of seed.
11. The term "seizure" means a legal process carried out by court order against a definite amount of seed.
12. The term "kind" means one or more related species or subspecies which singly or collectively is known by one common name, for example, corn, oats, alfalfa, and timothy.
13. The term "variety" means a subdivision of a kind characterized by growth, yield, disease resistance, plant, flower, fruit, seed or other characteristics by which it may be differentiated under certain conditions from other plants of the same kind.
14. The term "lot" means a definite quantity of seed which is identified by a lot number or other mark, and which has been so handled that each portion or container is representative of the whole quantity.
15. The term "hybrid" means the first generation of a cross produced under controlled pollination. The parents must be sufficiently uniform to permit repeated production of the hybrid without change in performance. Hybrid designations shall be treated as variety names.
16. "Pure seed" means agricultural, vegetable, flower, tree, or shrub seeds exclusive of inert matter, weed seeds, and all other seeds distinguishable from the kinds, or kinds and varieties being considered.
17. The term "percentage of germination" means the percentage of seeds, other than hard seeds, which are capable of producing normal seedlings under favorable conditions.
18. The term "percentage of hard seed" means the percentage of seeds which are incapable of sprouting promptly because their outer structures are impermeable to water.
19. The term "treated" means that the seed has received an effective application of an approved substance or method designed to control or repel plant disease organisms, insects, or other pests; or has received some other treatment to improve its planting value.
20. "Certified", "registered", "foundation", "phyto-inspected", or any other terms conveying similar meaning, when referring to seed, means seed which has been produced or collected, processed, and labeled in accordance with the procedures and in compliance with the rules and regulations of an officially recognized certification agency or agencies.
21. "Officially recognized" means recognized and designated by the laws or regulations of any state, the United States, any province of Canada, or the government of any foreign country wherein said seeds were produced, except that if said seeds are produced in New York state, section one hundred forty-one shall govern.