New York Agriculture & Markets Law
As used in this article, unless otherwise expressly stated, or unless the content or subject matter otherwise requires;
1. "Department" means the department of agriculture and markets.
2. "Commissioner" means the commissioner of agriculture and markets.
3. "Person" means any person, firm, corporation, or association.
4. "Inspection legend" means a mark or a statement authorized by the provisions of the federal law, on a carcass, meat, meat by-product, or meat food product indicating the product has been inspected and passed.
5. "Meat label" means a display of written, printed, or graphic matter authorized by the provisions of the federal law on a container indicating the meat, meat by-products, or meat food products contained therein have been inspected and passed.
6. "Meat" means the edible part of the muscle of cattle, swine, sheep, goats, horses and other large domesticated animals which is skeletal or which is found in the tongue, in the diaphragm, in the heart or in the esophagus, with or without the accompanying or overlying fat, and the portions of bone, skin, nerve and blood vessels which normally accompany the muscle tissue and which are not separated from it in the process of dressing. It does not include the muscle found in the lips, snout or ears. Any edible part of the carcass which has been manufactured, cured, smoked, processed or otherwise treated shall not be considered meat.
7. "Meat by-product" means any edible part other than meat which has been derived from cattle, swine, sheep, goats, horses and other large domesticated animals. This term shall apply only to those parts which have not been manufactured, cured, smoked, processed or otherwise treated.
8. "Meat food product" means any product capable of use as human food which is made wholly or in part from any meat or other portion of the carcass of any animal, excepting products which contain meat or other portions of such carcasses only in a relatively small proportion or historically have not been considered by consumers as products of the meat food industry, and which are exempted from definition as a meat food product by the commissioner under such conditions as he may prescribe to assure that the meat or other portions of such carcasses contained in such product are not adulterated and that such products are not represented as meat food products.
9. "Custom slaughterer" means a person, firm, corporation or association who or which operates a place or establishment where animals are delivered by the owner thereof for slaughter exclusively for use, in the household of such owner, by him and members of his household and his non-paying guests and employees, provided, that such custom slaughterer does not engage in the business of buying or selling any carcasses, parts of carcasses, meat or meat products of any animal.
10. "Custom slaughtered meat" means meat from animals which have been slaughtered by a custom slaughterer for the owner exclusively for use, in the household of such owner, by him and members of his household and his non-paying guests and employees.
11. "Farm dressed meat" means meat from animals slaughtered by a bona fide farmer who, as an incident of such farm operation, slaughters his own domestic animals on his own premises exclusively for use, in his household, by him and members of his household and his non-paying guests and employees.
12. "Edible" and "for human consumption" shall apply to any carcass, or part or product of a carcass, of any animal, unless it is denatured or otherwise identified as required by regulations prescribed by the commissioner to deter its use as human food, or is naturally inedible by humans.
13. "Animal" means cattle, swine, sheep, goats, horses and other large domesticated mammals.
14. "Carcass" means all parts, including viscera of a slaughtered animal, that are capable of being used for human food.
15. "Federal inspection" means the meat inspection maintained by the United States department of agriculture.
16. "Federal law" means the federal meat inspection act and all acts amendatory thereof and supplementary thereto.
17. "Game or wild game" means any deer or big game, or portions thereof, as defined in section 11-0103 of the environmental conservation law, taken by lawful hunting.