New York Agriculture & Markets Law
When used in this chapter, unless otherwise expressly stated, or unless the context or subject matter otherwise requires:
1. "Department" means the state department of agriculture and markets;
2. "Commissioner" means the commissioner of agriculture and markets.
3. The terms "food" and food "products," shall include all articles of food, drink, confectionery or condiment, whether simple, mixed or compound, used or intended for use by man or animals, and shall also include all substances or ingredients to be added to food for any purpose;
4. The production of foods means the producing of food upon the farm or elsewhere by the tillage of the soil, the commercial raising, shearing, feeding and management of animals or other agricultural, horticultural, ranching or dairying processes and shall also include the manufacture of foods.
5. "Farm product" means any agricultural, dairy or horticultural product, or any product designed for food manufactured or prepared principally from an agricultural, dairy or horticultural product and the commercial raising, shearing, feeding and management of animals on a ranch.